[Starlink] It's still the starlink latency...

Dave Taht dave.taht at gmail.com
Mon Sep 26 17:14:32 EDT 2022

On Mon, Sep 26, 2022 at 2:02 PM Bruce Perens via Starlink
<starlink at lists.bufferbloat.net> wrote:

> On Mon, Sep 26, 2022 at 1:54 PM Eugene Y Chang <eugene.chang at ieee.org> wrote:
>>
>> Every node in the path has to implement this to be effective.
>

> It would certainly be optimal if every node implemented it. But any node can detect the endpoint round-trip time, and how it degrades, and thus adjust how fast it feeds packets into the network. And a midpoint can detect when a host is feeding packets too fast for downstream nodes, and send explicit congestion notification, and failing that, drop some packets from that source.

yes.

Been working on libreqos.io lately, which is targetted at small ISPs,
and uses our latest XDP and cake code. It's getting marvelous - the
ipv6 code landed today, and we think we're good for 20gbit on 16 cores
on < $2k hw with purely free software.

Preseem (also using fq_codel) has been delivering a nice shaping
middlebox into the wisp market for going on 6 years.

FQ World Domination pending: https://blog.cerowrt.org/post/state_of_fq_codel/
Dave Täht CEO, TekLibre, LLC