[Thumbgps-devel] "Plain Jane" timing GPS is working!

Patrick Maupin pmaupin at gmail.com
Tue Apr 3 11:15:21 EDT 2012

On Tue, Apr 3, 2012 at 9:34 AM, Eric S. Raymond <esr at thyrsus.com> wrote:
> A few minutes ago I received mail from the test engineers at NaviSys.
> They have tested the "Plain Jane" concept (take a stock SiRf-III GPS
> chip plus PL2303 USB adapter, connect the 1PPS pin on the former to
> DCD input on the latter) with GPSD, and are actually seeing PPS pulse
> messages in the logs.

That's great news.  My OCXO order seems to have stalled; I need to
ping the seller about those.  It sounds like people are fairly
confident that the PPS signals are working correctly (not wobbling)
anyway, but I have some other reasons I want to get a precise local
timebase going.

In other news, TI apparently has some new GPS chips.  Haven't
investigated, but would assume the cost of GPS is coming down even
farther soon:

http://newscenter.ti.com/index.php?s=32851&item=127833