[Thumbgps-devel] [gpsd-dev] "Plain Jane" timing GPS is working!

Håkan Johansson f96hajo at chalmers.se
Tue Apr 3 13:20:32 EDT 2012

Is it the pulse shape (i.e. length) or the pulse repetition that gpsd
rejects?  As I recall, a SiRf-III GPS delivers a PPS pulse that is only 1
us long, so does not record a full state change, but this is handled.

Timing over USB is distored by the inherent USB polling interval of 1 ms,
so could make the inter-pulse interval fail those tests.  (They actually
allow +/-1 ms, so should make it?).  Logfile?

Due to the USB effectively downsampling the measurement to the USB
'polling clock', such a setup might be prone to seeing jumps.  I.e. if the
USB polling frequency is close to a multiple of the PPS signal, then it
for long times drifts slowly (which will not be detected), and then jumps
one polling cycle.  (Possibly even usable.  Unhandled it could make life
miserable for chrony/ntp.)

Cheers,
Håkan