[Thumbgps-devel] [gpsd-dev] PPS over USB

Hal Murray hmurray at megapathdsl.net
Wed May 2 03:58:08 EDT 2012

esr at thyrsus.com said:
> Clock time should be OK even with a single sat - multiple birds are needed
> for the spherical trig to compute position, but atomic time you get directly
> from each sat sample.

I think it's more complicated than that.

You can get time with only 1 sat if know where you are located.  It takes
special software, usually called "timing".

The usual approach for finding the location is to do a "survey".  That
requires more special software which is usually included in the timing
package.  It collects a 1000 (or whatever) good samples and averages the
position.  The "good" qualifier means they don't use low-quality samples
which might be way off.

It's worth asking Navisys if they have the timing mode software.