[Thumbgps-devel] [gpsd-dev] PPS over USB

Eric S. Raymond esr at thyrsus.com
Sun May 6 17:28:43 EDT 2012

> esr at thyrsus.com said:
> > Clock time should be OK even with a single sat - multiple birds are needed
> > for the spherical trig to compute position, but atomic time you get directly
> > from each sat sample.
>
> I think it's more complicated than that.
>
> You can get time with only 1 sat if know where you are located.  It takes
> special software, usually called "timing".

That's if you care about precision to less than the variation in
lightspeed-from-orbit and ionosphere delays.  Physicists do; most
other people don't, which is why uBlox can sell a device with a
time-service mode that (as I read the datasheet) doesn't require
a pre-survey.

Theoretical discussion only, since most GPses won't report time
without a (3-sat) fix and GPSD doesn't

> It's worth asking Navisys if they have the timing mode software.

No chance.  I can ask, but I'm certain they'll not evenn know it exists.