[Thumbgps-devel] Article -- Macx-1: GPS receiver with standard USB connector and PPS support

tz thomas at mich.com
Wed May 9 13:12:06 EDT 2012

For a given size (and circuit board footprint) a supercap will have much
less capacity and it has an exponential voltage decay curve, so it might
have plenty of charge but not at a voltage that will hold the data.  This
usually means hours, not days of backup.

A good rechargeable lithium will last several years, maybe longer as there
will be no charge/discharge, maintains voltage until it is nearly
exhausted, and can hold the data for days or weeks.