[Thumbgps-devel] Article -- Macx-1: GPS receiver with standard USB connector and PPS support

Ron Frazier (NTP) timekeepingntplist at techstarship.com
Wed May 9 13:50:07 EDT 2012

Hi all,

(I'm copying this only to the thumb-gps list and to TZ, the most recent
commenter, as I don't know all the parties in the header of TZ's
message.  You guys can forward it to whomever else may need to see it.)

Speaking strictly as a potential user of the thumb-gps device and
amateur interested party, I would rather see a supercap, if feasible.  I
hate the idea of devices having batteries that I have to worry about
failing in 5-10 years.  I've had the cmos batteries fail in a few
computers, sometimes preventing them from booting.  It can get really
ugly trying to revive them  A good high efficiency dc-dc converter chip
should allow you to drain all but the last bit of energy from the cap
while maintaining whatever working voltage you need.  I cannot speak to
size issues, as I have never designed a circuit board with one.  The
GlobalSat BU-353 that I have has a supercap, I believe.  Exact backup
time is not stated, but I believe it's a few days.

Sincerely,

Ron

On 5/9/2012 1:12 PM, tz wrote:
> For a given size (and circuit board footprint) a supercap will have
> much less capacity and it has an exponential voltage decay curve, so
> it might have plenty of charge but not at a voltage that will hold the
> data.  This usually means hours, not days of backup.
>
> A good rechargeable lithium will last several years, maybe longer as
> there will be no charge/discharge, maintains voltage until it is
> nearly exhausted, and can hold the data for days or weeks.
>
> On Wed, May 9, 2012 at 12:55 PM, Dave Taht <dave.taht at gmail.com
> <mailto:dave.taht at gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>     On Wed, May 9, 2012 at 9:47 AM, Eric S. Raymond <esr at thyrsus.com
>     <mailto:esr at thyrsus.com>> wrote:
>     > Dave Taht <dave.taht at gmail.com <mailto:dave.taht at gmail.com>>:
>     >> What would be the change in cost and delay in manufacturing to
>     switch to
>     >> using a supercap, rather than battery?
>     >
>     > Why would a supercap be better?
>
>     Effective lifetime of... forever. no need for replacement. insanely
>     fast recharge. smaller (probably). What's not to like?
>
>     I am not in a huge hurry to get into manufacturing, and I merely
>     wanted to cost out what what it would do to the bom, any changes to
>     the PCB, and get an estimate for the time it would take to do. I think
>     it will bump the unit cost up slightly,
>     but what price, forever?
>
>     > --
>     > <a href="http://www.catb.org/~esr/
>     <http://www.catb.org/%7Eesr/>">Eric S. Raymond</a>
>

>     --
>     Dave Täht
>     SKYPE: davetaht
>     US Tel: 1-239-829-5608 <tel:1-239-829-5608>
>     http://www.bufferbloat.net

(To whom it may concern.  My email address has changed.  Replying to former
address.  Please send all personal correspondence to the new address.)

Ron Frazier
timekeepingdude AT techstarship.com