[Thumbgps-devel] Promoting the Macx-1

Dave Taht dave.taht at gmail.com
Wed May 9 14:54:48 EDT 2012

I too have an interesting product marketing idea, utilizing the cerowrt logo
and some text pointing back to the bufferbloat project and ntp analysis
project's web site(s).

It looks good on black. Some prototypes here (I owe thorsten big time
for the designs)

http://huchra.bufferbloat.net/~d/logos/cerowrt.png

Can work on it harder. I'm seriously mindblown as to the rapidity as
to which all of this has happened.

If we could do gpsd on one side and CeroWrt on the other, we'd not
have to do separate silkscreening runs. But I'm easy about it, (and
still seriously mindblown)

And I'm not huge on black.

JG and I don't have quite the exposure esr gets, but it's wider.

On Wed, May 9, 2012 at 11:14 AM, Eric S. Raymond <esr at thyrsus.com> wrote:
> From Jau-Yang Chen <cjy at navisys.com.tw>
>>                 It will be great and much appreciated if we could have a
>> channel to sell this winning product in Amazon.
>
> Working on it.  But no result yet - I may have to go through several
> links in a chain of references.
>
>> We plan to put an article as attached on our website for advertisement.
>> Could you please review and comment?
>
> Have reviewed.  You can quote any of that you like.
>
>>                            It will be helpful to promote Macx-1
>> USB GPS receiver if you could also put it in the website of your
>> SIG/project.
>
> Done. Find it on <http://catb.org/gpsd/hardware.html>
>
> Also note that once we confirm a U.S. retail partner for you guys I
> will promote the product on my blog and Google+.  As I have over
> 18,000 blog and G+ followers with a heavy concentration among
> programmers and engineers who are likely GPS customers, this is
> exposure many vendors would kill for.  I have never plugged a
> product before; this will be your reward for a job very well done.
>
> The market you will be selling the Macx-1 into is much more interested
> in detailed technical information about the device than you are probably
> used to.  The datasheet for this device should list the exact uBlox
> chip or module it uses, the NMEA version, and (most importantly!) a
> link to programming information about the GPS engine - uBlox's technical
> manual on programming the chip would do.
>
> One of our people already mentioned turning off the dead-reckoning feature
> so the device won't emit PPS after it has lost lock. One reason to link
> to the technical manual is so we can determine if this is really an issue;
> it might be the firmware stops emitting PPS in dead-reckoning mode, and
> that's exactly the sort of detail Macx-1 customers will be interested in.
>
> Another one of our people, Dave Taht, has inquired about customized
> cases.  That gives me an interesting marketing idea.  Look at the
> GPSD project logo at <http://catb.org/gpsd/gpsd-logo-small.png>. That's
> a Linux penguin with GPS satellites orbiting it.  You might want to
> think about doing a batch of these with the logo on the case - with
> a little promotion they'd probably sell like crazy to Linux fans.
>
> My offer to review and improve the English version of your technical
> documentation is still open.
> --

SKYPE: davetaht
US Tel: 1-239-829-5608