[Thumbgps-devel] Article -- Macx-1: GPS receiver with standard USB connector and PPS support

Eric S. Raymond esr at thyrsus.com
Wed May 9 16:37:19 EDT 2012

Dave Hart <davehart at gmail.com>:
>  At the same time, I feebly admit I don't see the connection between
> Eric Raymond and Dave Taht and the nickname Macx-1.  Perhaps the
> meaning or thought behind the choice was explained in email I didn't
> see?

Lemme see if I can find it...ah, here it is

https://lists.bufferbloat.net/pipermail/thumbgps-devel/2012-May/000194.html

After that, Dave started calling the device the Macx-1.  Not my idea, honest!

Navisys people: the context you may be missing is that I'm ridiculously
famous among Internet geeks, and Charles Stross is a very capable and
popular writer of science fiction who happends to have known me *before*
I was famous.  The resemblences between myself and the fictional character
Manfred Macx are sufficiently obvious that a lot of Internet geeks
can easily pick up on them - it's what's called in English an "in-joke",
a form of humor shared within a particular social group but opaque to
outsiders.
--
		<A href="http://www.catb.org/~esr/">Eric S. Raymond</a>