[Bloat] Taxonomy of various sender-side TCPs

Dave Hart hart at ntp.org
Fri Mar 11 14:10:16 EST 2011

On Fri, Mar 11, 2011 at 18:07 UTC, Jonathan Morton
<chromatix99 at gmail.com> wrote:
>> http://media.cs.tsinghua.edu.cn/~multimedia/tcp-fit/papers/mobicom10_demo.pdf
>> http://media.cs.tsinghua.edu.cn/~multimedia/tcp-fit/
>
> It would probably help if their DNS worked.  :-(
>
> Actually, the public server at 4.2.2.2 can resolve them, but my home box can't.  An artefact of the Great Firewall perhaps?

After digging into this a bit I think there's a connectivity problem
to the cs.tsinghua.edu.cn nameservers from some networks and not
others.  I can't resolve the name when I use my own local recursive
nameserver, but I can using any of the google 8.8.8.8, 8.8.4.4 or
level3 4.2.2.1, 4.2.2.2, public DNS.  With each of those, I can see
from TTLs they are able to reach dns1/2.cs.tsinghua.edu.cn when I
can't.

Turning to http://lg.he.net, I initiated traceroutes from San Jose,
Singapore, and Tokyo.  The asian routers eventually got through the *
* * dead zone to show last hops and destination responding, but the
core1.sjc2.he.net traceroute died after two hops while still in the
states, similar to what I see via sprintlink in Seattle.

The reachability problem for the DNS servers may be related to today's quake.

Cheers,
Dave Hart