[Bloat] AQM creeping into L2 equipment

Toke Høiland-Jørgensen toke at toke.dk
Thu Mar 20 12:44:01 EDT 2014

Dave Taht <dave.taht at gmail.com> writes:

> I find it puzzling that you still lose the measurement flows early on.
> Setting some QoS on via WTD might be interesting.

Well if you can be more specific, I'll be happy to. Was looking for a
way to have per-protocol QoS settings, but there does not seem to be any
From the documentation (only IP-based).

> If you have a later OS than 3.13 on the sources/sinks you might want
> to try sch_fq (and sch_pfifo_fast for reference) - the improvements to
> Linux's TCP are such that on a short path like this that the control
> loop stays very tight - only two TSO offloads per flow, really
> accurate use of tcp timestamps, etc.

Added a result set with sch_fq in place of fq_codel to the bottom of the
same page. Doesn't appear to make much of a difference...

> See also if you have hardware flow control enabled (via ethtool)

If by that you mean pause frames, ethtool seems to think not:

Settings for eth2:
	Supported ports: [ TP ]
	Supported link modes:   10baseT/Half 10baseT/Full
	                        100baseT/Half 100baseT/Full
	                        1000baseT/Full
	Supported pause frame use: No
	Supports auto-negotiation: Yes
	Advertised link modes:  10baseT/Half 10baseT/Full
	                        100baseT/Half 100baseT/Full
	                        1000baseT/Full
	Advertised pause frame use: No
	Advertised auto-negotiation: Yes