[Bloat] DSLReports Speed Test has latency measurement built-in

Mikael Abrahamsson swmike at swm.pp.se
Sun Apr 19 15:19:32 EDT 2015

On Sun, 19 Apr 2015, Toke Høiland-Jørgensen wrote:

> Why not? They can be a quite useful measure of how competing traffic
> performs when bulk flows congest the link. Which for many applications
> is more important then the latency experienced by the bulk flow
> itself...

I agree, but it's also easy to create a two queue system where ICMP is
sent in the second queue. So for stupid FIFOs, yes, they measure what you
want, but for anything else they don't.

> I do agree, though, that other types of measurements are also needed.
> Ideally we should have good latency characteristics for *both* competing
> traffic and the bulk flows themselves.

My thinking was that instead of using ICMP PING, for instance a simulated
UDP VoIP call could be done, send one packet every 100ms (yes, I know most
VoIP is 20ms or so) and use that. ICMP is not a good measurement, UDP
would be more valid.

Mikael Abrahamsson    email: swmike at swm.pp.se