[Bloat] DSLReports Speed Test has latency measurement built-in

Jonathan Morton chromatix99 at gmail.com
Sun Apr 19 16:53:13 EDT 2015

>>> 	The frequency domain more accessible to laypersons? I have my doubts ;)
>>
>> Gamers, at least, are familiar with “frames per second” and how that corresponds to their monitor’s refresh rate.
>
> 	I am sure they can easily transform back into time domain to get the frame period ;) .  I am partly kidding, I think your idea is great in that it is a truly positive value which could lend itself to being used in ISP/router manufacturer advertising, and hence might work in the real work; on the other hand I like to keep data as “raw” as possible (not that ^(-1) is a transformation worthy of being called data massage).
>
>> The desirable range of latencies, when converted to Hz, happens to be roughly the same as the range of desirable frame rates.
>
> 	Just to play devils advocate, the interesting part is time or saving time so seconds or milliseconds are also intuitively understandable and can be easily added ;)

Such readouts are certainly interesting to people like us.  I have no objection to them being reported alongside a frequency readout.  But I think most people are not interested in “time savings” measured in milliseconds; they’re much more aware of the minute- and hour-level time savings associated with greater bandwidth.

 - Jonathan Morton