[Bloat] DSLReports Speed Test has latency measurement built-in

Eric Dumazet eric.dumazet at gmail.com
Thu Apr 23 02:48:38 EDT 2015

Wait, this is a 15 years old experiment using Reno and a single test
bed, using ns simulator.

Naive TCP pacing implementations were tried, and probably failed.

Pacing individual packet is quite bad, this is the first lesson one
learns when implementing TCP pacing, especially if you try to drive a
40Gbps NIC.

https://lwn.net/Articles/564978/

Also note we use usec based rtt samples, and nanosec high resolution
timers in fq. I suspect the ns simulator experiment had sync issues
because of using low resolution timers or simulation artifact, without
any jitter source.

Billions of flows are now 'paced', but keep in mind most packets are not
paced. We do not pace in slow start, and we do not pace when tcp is ACK
clocked.

Only when someones sets SO_MAX_PACING_RATE below the TCP rate, we can
eventually have all packets being paced, using TSO 'clusters' for TCP.