[Bloat] Better marketing #101: anybody have any graphical talent and time for bufferbloat.net related logos?

Dave Taht dave.taht at gmail.com
Fri Mar 6 11:51:03 EST 2015

I sometimes really hate not being able to get into the fun like this:

http://battlemesh.org/BattleMeshV8/PosterDesign

I have zero skills in the art department. None. Worse... I have few
thoughts as to what a bufferbloat logo should look like. But,
obviously, though, we need to be doing better marketing than we are,
given the enormous number of complaints I have received (and ignored)
over the past 4 years.

An historical note: We had started with the pufferfish at
bufferbloat.net's inception, and it wasn't until the design was nearly
complete that someone pointed out that what we had looked WAY too much
like openBSD's mascot - we didn't want to offend them, and never got
around to a replacement, although you will see that fully inflated
spiky bufferfish on many an early presentation.

I saw at one point someone had registered a bufferbloat.something web
site and put up a nice logo but I can't remember the url and never
found out who did it.

The constructive thought that I have is that now that we are moving
towards having cures, rather than describing the problem, *so perhaps
a posititive design more focused on describing the cure(s)* would be
best.

Certainly Stephen Hemminger's talks with all the water bottles are
inspirational,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y5KPryOHwk8

(isn't there a new one of these I can link to?)

And I loved many bits in the riteproject's videos (particularly the
chasing the inchworm[1] part that for the first time ever showed how
TCP really behaves accurately. Wow! That was awesome), and so on...

http://riteproject.eu/2014/10/23/slow-internet-more-bandwidth-is-not-the-answer/

[3]

Logo suggestions for "make-wifi-fast", and "cerowrt" also gladly accepted.

2) Backstory on the current cerowrt logo - it is a "blanusa snark",
and I took great (snarky!) joy in the prospect of  trying to sneak an
obscure mathematical object through the trademark office, but never
got around to that. :) The form of the blanusa (and related snarks)
(chromatic index 3) to me represents several ideal solutions to
complex routing problems - and weirdly, it turned out that babeld's
logo is a subset of it. [2] So I used that, figuring someday I'd get
the time to port the equations to use a 3d extruder like blender to
make something really cool, and never got around that either. (I still
would like to do that, while trying to visualize that works for
routing protocols, just no skill in blender)

Can you tell why I am an unsuitable guy for creating logos that
communicate??? :) Can drop the snark in cerowrt in favor of something
that stresses reliability. cero bugs.

3) I have no idea how to represent the make-wifi-fast project either,
although I think lots of ideas could emerge for that. ?

4) So... I am cc-ing the only 3 artists I know, if anybody else has
anybody on tap(?), and IF some good ideas emerge here, *graphics do
communicate fundamental ideas* - and we need to do better on
communicating them to the general public and the CEOs and CTOs that
are thus far not paying any attention to solving their problems with
latency under load on their networks.

Note: In my case, I can just barely see the color red, and need to
rely on y'all for taste in this department!

There are a few other graphics I have longed to have - take the
classic hourglass TCP thing that you see everywhere, for example. I'd
like a version of that that accurately represented asymmetric networks
and mixed traffic.

So... ideas?

[1] "Chasing the inchworm" is the working title of a paper in
progress, please don't use that... - credit to fred baker for the
name!

[2] The related snarky math however is too complex to solve rapidly in
a routing application except in gates, and maybe not even then.

[3] I loved the riteproject video except for the end, which infuriated
me. And because rite never linked back to us, or gave us any credit,
the "bufferbloat" word has 3 hits on their site total - I have only
rarely linked back to them, and I admit to being a lot envious of
their budget compared to ours. I am pretty sure that there are some
bad feelings over there, about us, also.

Can we put that history down?

I would like us ALL to work together on creating a unified approach to
marketing solutions for internet latency that gives credit, where
credit is due. If we all start working together again, perhaps we'll
start getting somewhere faster.

Let's make wifi fast, less jittery and reliable again!

https://plus.google.com/u/0/107942175615993706558/posts/TVX3o84jjmb