[Bloat] Bufferbloat.net - Organizing, curating, and workflow

Toke Høiland-Jørgensen toke at toke.dk
Sun Jun 12 14:02:28 EDT 2016

Rich Brown <richb.hanover at gmail.com> writes:

> Thanks again to Toke for all this good work. It's terrific to see the
> pages resurrected, and to have the www.bufferbloat.net site living
> again.

You're welcome! Just glad it's being appreciated ;)

> I've been thinking of the next steps - to make all this work really useful. I see there are three important issues:
>
> Organizing: Thinking about the best way to display the current information:
> 	- Should Cake be listed as a top-level project?

No opinion.

> 	- Is there a way to display newest entries? I'd like to see a
> 	sidebar element showing the 5 newest posts

Yes, certainly. Was thinking of putting a list of newest news items on
the front page. However, for the wiki pages it is not necessarily
obvious that having a notion of 'newest' is useful.

> 	- Can an RSS feed be generated automatically?

Yes, but see above.

> Curating: The current site makes it seem as if all pages are equally important. I feel the urge to do the following:
> 	- Categorizing the "List of Wiki Pages" for a project (e.g., http://bufferbloat.net/projects/cerowrt/ )
> 		so there's a sense of their importance

A way to do this would be to update the 'index' wiki pages to be more
useful (e.g. https://www.bufferbloat.net/projects/cerowrt/wiki/) and
keep the overview pages as a 'complete' list. However, it's certainly
also possible to mark some of the pages as 'important' and have those
show up on top of the list.

> 	- Discard old/outdated/useless articles

Yes, this is probably needed. And also fixing broken links (see the
issue I opened for this on github).

> Workflow:
> 	- Rules for making posts: Who can make them? How do they get
> 	published?

Well, it's a git repo. I figure anyone can do pull requests.

> 	- Auto-publish - if it's not already happening, could we
> 	re-render and publish after a commit?

Yes, that is certainly possible. For now I figure I'll do it manually
(it's just re-running a script), but if we get enough activity that that
becomes a bottleneck, I can certainly set up something automated.

> 	- I see the 404 handler in place, but it doesn't seem to show a
> 	link to archive.org

It includes a javascript from archive.org which *should* show a link if
(and only if) an archived version exists. Haven't verified that it
actually works.

> 	- Is there a way to do page redirection? It looks as if Toke has done a great job of replicating
> 		URLs in the new site, but if we see frequent broken
> 		links, is there a way to redirect a page to its
> 		equivalent on the new site?

Yes. This is already used for news items and issues.

> 	- Should we add a Google search box on 404 page? On every page?

Not sure what it takes to do this properly, and if it's worth the
hassle.

> 	- Would it make sense to review error logs from time to time?

Possible. Split out the logs to a separate file; can provide it if
someone wants to go digging. Or I can just parse out a list of 404
errors from time to time.

-Toke