[Bloat] Fixing bufferbloat in 2017

Dave Taht dave.taht at gmail.com
Mon Nov 28 10:35:11 EST 2016

On Mon, Nov 28, 2016 at 7:23 AM, Wesley Eddy <wes at mti-systems.com> wrote:
> On 11/28/2016 10:12 AM, Dave Taht wrote:
>>
>> On Mon, Nov 28, 2016 at 4:48 AM, David Collier-Brown <davec-b at rogers.com>
>> wrote:
>>>
>>> A short RFC with a clear summary would change the ground on which we
>>> stand.
>>> Include me in if you're planning one.
>>
>> Call me grumpy. Call me disaffected. But it's been 4 years into the
>> IETF RFC process with codel and fq_codel with still no end in sight.
>>

> Hi Dave, while it's been undeniably slow, "no end in sight" is not really
> accurate.  Here is the correct status, since I am document shepherd for
> both:
>
> - The fq-codel draft is completely and totally done in terms of IETF
> process, and has been in the RFC Editor's queue simply awaiting the codel
> draft to arrive.  This is what the "MISSREF" state indicates in that IETF
> datatracker tool.  It completed the IETF last call and IESG balloting in
> March/April earlier this year.
>
> - The codel document completed AQM working group last call, and I believe is
> awaiting the authors to make changes requested by the Area Director in order
> to go for IETF Last Call and IESG balloting.
>
> The end is most definitely within sight!

Thank you for the update! I will, however, believe it when I see it
(and heave a great sigh of relief).

I see from looking over this preliminary draft,

http://snapon.lab.bufferbloat.net/~d/draft-taht-home-gateway-best-practices-00.html

that since I wrote it, we have made a serious dent in dealing with nat
and in per host fq with the cake project, as well as dealing well with
rate shaping (and diffserv classification to the best of our
understandings)

current man page for cake: http://static.lochnair.net/bufferbloat/tc-cake.8.html
Some tech detail (does not include the new de-natting code or per host
fq (triple-isolate)):
https://www.bufferbloat.net/projects/codel/wiki/CakeTechnical/

There is *no way* I want to submit cake to the RFC process (the code
is dual licensed), but an updated form of this attempt at a  best
practices document might be worthwhile, if not as a wg submission,
then as an individual submission.

http://blog.cerowrt.org