[Bloat] Fair queuing detection for congestion control

Maximilian Bachl maximilian.bachl at gmail.com
Sun Jul 3 10:16:42 EDT 2022

Hi Sebastian,

Thank you for your suggestions.

Regarding
a) I slightly modified the algorithm to make it work better with the small
5 ms threshold. I updated the paper on arXiv; it should be online by
Tuesday morning Central European Time. Detection accuracy for
Linux's fq_codel is quite high (high 90s) but it doesn't work that well
with small bandwidths (<=10 Mbit/s).
b) that's a good suggestion. I'm thinking how to do it best since also
every experiment with every RTT/bandwidth was repeated and I'm not sure how
to make a CDF that includes the RTTs/bandwidths and the repetitions.
c) I guess for every experiment with pfifo, the resulting accuracy is a
true negative rate, while for every experiment with fq* the resulting
accuracy is a true positive rate. I updated the paper to include these
terms to make it clearer. Summarizing, the true negative rate is 100%, the
true positive rate for fq is >= 95% and for fq_codel it's also in that
range except for low bandwidths.

In case you're interested in reliable FQ detection but not in the
combination of FQ detection and congestion control, I co-authored another
paper which uses a different FQ detection method, which is more robust but
has the disadvantage of causing packet loss (Detecting Fair Queuing for
Better Congestion Control (https://arxiv.org/abs/2010.08362)).

Regards,
Max