[Bloat] Fair queuing detection for congestion control

Dave Taht dave.taht at gmail.com
Sun Jul 3 10:49:32 EDT 2022

Hey, good start to my saturday!

1) Apple's fq_"codel" implementation did not actually implement the
codel portion of the algorithm when I last checked last year. Doesn't
matter what you set the target to.

2) fq_codel has a detectable (IMHO, have not tried) phase where the
"sparse flow optimization" allows non queue building flows to bypass
the queue building
flows entirely. See attached. fq-pie, also. Cake also has this, but
with the addition of per host FQ.

However to detect it, requires sending packets on an interval smaller
than the codel quantum. Most (all!?) TCP implementations, even the
paced ones, send 2 1514 packets back to back, so you get an ack back
on servicing either the first or second one. Sending individual TCP
packets paced, and bunching them up selectively should also oscillate
around the queue width. (width = number of queue building flows,
depth, the depth of the queue). The codel quantum defaults to 1514
bytes but is frequently autoscaled to less at low bandwidths.

3) It is also possible, (IMHO), to send a small secondary flow
isochronously as a "clock" and observe the width and depth of the
queue that way.

4) You can use a fq_codel RFC3168 compliant implementation to send
back a CE, which is (presently) a fairly reliable signal of fq_codel
on the path. A reduction in *pacing* different from what the RFC3168
behavior is (reduction by half), would be interesting.

Thx for this today! A principal observation of the BBR paper was that
you cannot measure for latency and bandwidth *at the same time* in a
single and you showing, in a FQ'd environment, that you can, I don't
remember seeing elsewhere (but I'm sure someone will correct me).