[Bloat] where home 5G can go south

Erik Auerswald auerswal at unix-ag.uni-kl.de
Sat Oct 29 05:40:23 EDT 2022

Hi,

On 28.10.22 23:10, jf--- via Bloat wrote:
>> On Oct 27, 2022, at 11:37 PM, Dave Taht via Bloat <bloat at lists.bufferbloat.net> wrote:
>>
>> https://blog.networkprofile.org/redundant-wan-ditching-t-mobile-5g-for-verizon-5g/
>>
>> This had some details as to the things that could go wrong from an
>> initial happy install of t-mobile, to something terrible.
>>
> We’ve observed growing variability on some TMHI setups from our fleet, and it seems there is a correlation to usage growth on a single tower. Seems neighbors talk to hear other after all ;-)
>
> And yes, horrible bufferbloat on these variable capacity links.
>
>> The author switched to verizon, but what guarantees of continued
>> reliability does one have?
>
> It seems none ATM, as it really depends on user density vs tower capacity. Woe to those that share a tower with a busy highway, ‘rush hour’ likely means low capacity and even higher latencies.

As another anecdote:

In the German I city where I live, Internet access via 4G usually
works well, even though there are noticeable bufferbloat effects
for those who know how to look.

But when there is a significantly higher number of mobile users,
e.g., because of a soccer game or some other event with large
attendance, latency goes up and reaches several seconds with just
light network usage.

Thanks,
Erik