[Bloat] On fiber as critical infrastructure w/Comcast chat

rjmcmahon rjmcmahon at rjmcmahon.com
Sat Mar 25 15:39:42 EDT 2023

Hi All,

I've been trying to modernize a building in Boston where I'm an HOA
board member over the last 18 mos. I perceive the broadband network as a
critical infrastructure to our 5 unit building.

Unfortunately, Comcast staff doesn't seem to agree. The agent basically
closed the chat on me mid-stream (chat attached.) I've been at this for
about 18 mos now.

While I think bufferbloat is a big issue, the bigger issue is that our
last-mile providers must change their cultures to understand that life
support use cases that require proper pathways, conduits & cabling can
no longer be ignored. These buildings have coaxial thrown over the
exterior walls done in the 80s then drilling holes without consideration
of structures. This and the lack of environmental protections for our
HOA's critical infrastructure is disheartening. It's past time to remove
this shoddy work on our building and all buildings in Boston as well as
across the globe.

My hope was by now I'd have shown through actions what a historic
building in Boston looks like when we, as humans in our short lives, act
as both stewards of history and as responsible guardians to those that
share living spaces and neighborhoods today & tomorrow. Motivating
humans to better serve one another is hard.

Bob