[Cake] delayed bql and/or ethernet devices with alternate settings

Dave Taht dave.taht at gmail.com
Sun Apr 12 18:13:10 EDT 2015

We actually need not do the bandwidth shaping in the qdisc.

IF an ethernet device existed that let you program in
its rate to not be line rate, that would be a nice feature,
then all the existing mechanisms (like BQL) would "just work"
and we would need no software rate shaping in that case.

So, despite transmitting a packet at 1gbit, returning an completion
interrupt as if it was transmitting at a a user specified 20 (or
X)mbit, would work with all the higher mechanisms in the kernel.

(I keep hoping, undocumented, somewhere in every ethernet
 device, is a configuration option like this)

Receive is harder, you still have to drain the rx ring at
line rate.

Open Networking needs **Open Source Hardware**

https://plus.google.com/u/0/+EricRaymond/posts/JqxCe2pFr67