[Cake] Update kernel version check in cake

Dave Taht dave.taht at gmail.com
Tue Sep 29 05:55:36 EDT 2015

On Tue, Sep 29, 2015 at 2:42 AM, Kevin Darbyshire-Bryant
<kevin at darbyshire-bryant.me.uk> wrote:

> On 29/09/15 00:01, Jonathan Morton wrote:
>>
>> I actually had the version check fix locally, but for some reason it
>> hadn't been picked up by a push yet.
>>
> Yep, I have those moments.  Just when I think I've got git sussed it
> goes and does something completely logical but totally unexpected :-)
>>
>> Squashing would involve writing to the TOS byte, which is already done
>> by ECN marking, via a helper function.
>>
> Ah, so if I can work out how that's done I'm 50% of the way there.
> Should keep me amused for a few days.
>>
>> I tried removing the cow stuff once before.  Everything promptly
>> stopped working until I put it back.  I have no idea why.
>>
> Well here's interesting.  I got brave and put my suggested change into
> action.  So far: 1) router not blown up  2) tc -s still shows traffic in
> different Classes (Dave, I prefer your term 'Bin' here too - I
> considered 'Bucket' for a laugh) which suggests the reading of ip_hdr is
> still working. 3) This hasn't been thoroughly tested in any way
> whatsoever but i've tried diffserv4 & besteffort and both don't appear
> broken.

I agree with bin. Wouldn't mind it if that made it into the variable
name instead of class.

> Pull request: https://github.com/dtaht/sch_cake/pull/6

It would be my hope also that killing the cow would speed it up.

Untested by me, but pulled.

Do you want faster, better, wifi? https://www.patreon.com/dtaht