[Cake] lanman2018 cake talk ideas

Luca Muscariello luca.muscariello at gmail.com
Wed Jun 20 04:25:16 EDT 2018

In my opinion, you should introduce the challenges faced to get to this
point a little bit more.
There has been an historically difficult insertion of packet scheduling in
the Internet.

FQ in the first place has suffered ostracism for a number of reasons, some
acceptable criticism,
some others just driven by ignorance.
You don't make that point at the beginning of the presentation and you
should, IMO.

Let me be a little dramatic for a second.
It's been an odyssey. Really, if we start counting from John Nagle (1985)
and
Ellen Hahne's Ph.D thesis at MIT supervised by Robert Gallager.
And take FQ_codel RFC as another milestone in 2018.

More than 30 years. That's an odyssey. Longer actually as Ulysses stayed
away from home only 20 years!
So cake is really sitting on giant's shoulders.
But the list is long, Jim Roberts, Scott Shenker, Luigi Rizzo and many many
others, sorry the list is too long.

Why so difficult? Was it worthy?
I think you should say that at the conference.
Gook luck!

Ellen L. Hahne:
Round robin scheduling for fair flow control in data communication networks.

Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Cambridge, MA, USA 1986