[Cake] Query on ACK

Jonathan Morton chromatix99 at gmail.com
Sun Jun 14 10:43:08 EDT 2020

> On 14 Jun, 2020, at 3:43 pm, Avakash bhat <avakash261 at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> I wanted another clarification on the results obtained by the Ack filtering experiment( Fig 6) .
> Was the experiment conducted with only ack filtering enabled?
> Or was set associative hash and the other modules of Cake enabled along with Ack filtering while running this experiment ?

The test was run on a complete implementation of Cake, set up in the normal way.  I think we kept the configuration simple for this test, so everything at defaults except for choosing the shaped bandwidth in each direction.

The ack-filter relies on having fairly good flow isolation, so that consecutive packets in the appropriate queue belong to the same ack stream.  So at minimum it is appropriate to have the set-associative flow hash enabled.

The host-fairness and Diffserv features were probably enabled, but did not have relevant effects in this case, since only one pair of hosts and the Best Effort DSCP were used in the traffic.