[Cerowrt-devel] understanding_cerowrt_buildsystem

Dave Taht dave.taht at gmail.com
Fri Sep 21 11:35:13 EDT 2012

Yes, getting cero (and openwrt) built right the first time is hard!

As for issue tracking, I'm not fond of redmine's system (particularly
as search on our implementation is busted and we have
100s of outstanding issues), but switching to github wholesale is not
particularly palatable at first glance. I have kept hoping that
something more compatable with me (something that interfaced to emacs
and didn't require the web to do *anything*) would arise.

My overall thought at the moment is to hold a "building
openwrt/cerowrt google hangout" with as many participants as possible,
get some your versions built, record the thing, see what barriers
there are to making it easier, and smash them. This can certainly
include trying to use github features harder. I do not currently
maintain or use the build_cero script...

I'm back in california now and migrating back to PDT, when would be a
good time to get everyone together? Saturday?

I note that I'm very free with commit access to the ceropackages repo
in particular. If, in order to make forward progress on the dlna, upnp
issues, we have to move those into ceropackages, go for it. The whole
point of ceropackages was to try to find ways to quickly spin up and
eventually push out, new, improved, interesting packages into openwrt
mainline.

Regardless pls send along your github ids, and I'll add you.

On Thu, Sep 20, 2012 at 6:05 AM, Mark Constable <markc at renta.net> wrote:
> On 09/20/12 20:41, Maciej Soltysiak wrote:
>> Also it makes it harder for Dave to delegate building to somebody else
>> as he hinted last time. Could at least we make a list on the wiki of
>> most common build problems and questions?
>
> Wouldn't it be better to use the issue tracker and pull requests at Github?
>
> The whole point of Github is to make is easier for folks to cooperate and
> accelerate project development and it has excellent tools for doing exactly
> that, as long as the direction of the project allows for it and takes
> advantage of the available social facilities.
>
> I'd like to get more involved too but it just seems all too hard atm so I
> build stock AA OpenWrt uml images instead, for now, hoping I can get up to
> speed with understanding the CeroWrt build process.

http://www.bufferbloat.net/projects/cerowrt/wiki - "3.3.8-17 is out
with fq_codel!"