[Cerowrt-devel] understanding_cerowrt_buildsystem

Dave Taht dave.taht at gmail.com
Fri Sep 21 18:16:02 EDT 2012

On Thu, Sep 20, 2012 at 12:10 AM, Oliver Niesner
<oliver.niesner at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi!
>
> After a zillion tries i managed to build a cerowrt image for myself.
> It's not really clear what happened when it fails, but sometimes building a
> package again does the trick.

When doing parallel builds, things can fail in random places as not
all the dependencies are captured in openwrt.

Also I've seen an issue when sometimes a file doesn't get built right
and fails a dependency later.

make package/{clean,compile,install}/the_package/name is usually of
help in both cases.

Sometimes merely doing a sequential build after a parallel build fails
is the only answer, too

make V=s

> Here is another question to understand  better:
>
> When building a package (eg. selecting a new one in menuconfig) does the
> buildsystem take care of
> dependencies in other "parts" of the system? Let's say i do a package which
> requires something new
> must be build in the linux kernel, but in the build before the kernel is
> already succesfully compiled. Will the
> buildsystem automatically detect that it is neccessary to build the kernel
> again, or do i have to do it
> manually, eg. do a "make clean"? My guess is that i have to do it manually.

Often it will "just work". But not often enough.

> Thanks, for clearing things up
>
> Oliver

http://www.bufferbloat.net/projects/cerowrt/wiki - "3.3.8-17 is out
with fq_codel!"