[Cerowrt-devel] understanding_cerowrt_buildsystem

Outback Dingo outbackdingo at gmail.com
Fri Sep 21 22:32:10 EDT 2012

On Fri, Sep 21, 2012 at 6:16 PM, Dave Taht <dave.taht at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 20, 2012 at 12:10 AM, Oliver Niesner
> <oliver.niesner at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hi!
>>
>> After a zillion tries i managed to build a cerowrt image for myself.
>> It's not really clear what happened when it fails, but sometimes building a
>> package again does the trick.
>
> When doing parallel builds, things can fail in random places as not
> all the dependencies are captured in openwrt.
>
> Also I've seen an issue when sometimes a file doesn't get built right
> and fails a dependency later.
>
> make package/{clean,compile,install}/the_package/name is usually of
> help in both cases.
>
> Sometimes merely doing a sequential build after a parallel build fails
> is the only answer, too
>
> make V=s
>

>> Here is another question to understand  better:
>>
>> When building a package (eg. selecting a new one in menuconfig) does the
>> buildsystem take care of
>> dependencies in other "parts" of the system? Let's say i do a package which
>> requires something new
>> must be build in the linux kernel, but in the build before the kernel is
>> already succesfully compiled. Will the
>> buildsystem automatically detect that it is neccessary to build the kernel
>> again, or do i have to do it
>> manually, eg. do a "make clean"? My guess is that i have to do it manually.
>
> Often it will "just work". But not often enough.
>
>> Thanks, for clearing things up
>>
>> Oliver

Just so all are aware I spoke to Dave earlier and am taking a look at
the build system, Im
currently doing a build from scratch to see what potential gotchas,
pitfalls, fixes, or even
failures occur. Im also inclined to think, of possibly looking at a
logical integration, via feeds.
Theres alot of work here thats been done by Dave and it needs to be
easy for us who wish
to make our own builds / modifications / changes to be able to move
forward. It is also alot
easier to provide patches / fixes when you understand the whole build
system. So Im working
through this, and hopefully i can encourage my wife, whos a technical
writer to pitch in some
documentation time.