[Cerowrt-devel] cerowrt-3.7.4-3 released

Maciej Soltysiak maciej at soltysiak.com
Sun Jan 27 17:12:40 EST 2013

Fantastic to hear about recent dhcpv6 developments!
I haven't had the time to use the tweaks advertised to make it working on
3.7.3-2 nor to test 3.7.4-3 but I found something else...

Since the last builds were about making ipv6 more usable I played with some
proxies.
I added this to /etc/hosts to see if things break:
::1 localhost localhost6

And they did just a bit. See, I configure my clients to talk to privoxy on
ipv4 (until I get Ipv6 for clients), port 8118, then I configure privoxy to
talk to polipo on localhost (router) on port 8123, so it's:

[client] ---> [privoxy on router:8118] ---> [polipo on router
localhost:8123]  ---> [WAN]

(side note: this is the recommended order of chaining these proxies, and so
TFO only gets used locally as privoxy does not have a TFO patch, I could
write a patch for that, but I never have the time to debug why my cero
builds always break :-( )

ANyway, this doesn't work (err: Refusing connection from unauthorised net)
because thanks to my modification to /etc/hosts, it talks to IPv6 localhost
(::1 instead 127.0.0.1) and /etc/config/polipo doesn't allow ::1 by current
config so I had to add this to /etc/config/polipo:
list 'allowedClients' '::1'
I'm not saying this is something that definitelly needs a change and it's
caused by my mods anyway, but I'm just saying ip6 naming or addressing will
potentially create a need to cater for them in various configs of various
apps.

(yes, it still breaks on dns after a while, but that's another story)

Anyway, Dave, I'm very happy with Cerowrt feature set; especially now that
we have DLNA/UPNP stuff sorted. (although I haven't tested ip6 support, I
will when I get clients using ip6 soon :-)

Best Regards,
Maciej