[Cerowrt-devel] CeroWrt: "Wireless is disabled or not associated" using channel 40 or 48 for 5GHz radio

Dave Taht dave.taht at gmail.com
Mon Oct 21 14:04:30 EDT 2013

On Mon, Oct 21, 2013 at 9:34 AM, Richard E. Brown
<richb.hanover at gmail.com> wrote:
> I wanted to change the channels for my secondary CeroWrt router (I'm using 3.7.5 as my primary…) When I set the channel to 36 or 44, everything seems OK. When I attempt either channel 40 or 48, I get the following in the Wifi tab:
>
> ---
> Atheros AR9220 802.11an (radio1)
>
> 0%      SSID: CEROwrt5 | Mode: Client
> Wireless is disabled or not associated
>
> 0%      SSID: CEROwrt-guest5 | Mode: Master
> Wireless is disabled or not associated
>
> 0%      SSID: babel | Mode: Ad-Hoc
> Wireless is disabled or not associated
> ---
>
> Other info:
>
> a) I find this using *both* 3.7.5 and 3.10.17-1
>
> b) The only diff's between the /etc/config/wireless file between working and not is the channel option:
>
> option channel '44'
>   vs…
> option channel '48'
>
> c) It happens using either the luci web interface or the following script:
>
> ---
> echo 'Setting 2.4 & 5 GHz channels'
> uci set wireless.radio0.channel=6
> uci set wireless.radio1.channel=40
> ---
>
> Is this expected? If not, what other information could I provide?

You can't do this in HT40+ mode, which bonds together two adjacent
channels (36 and 40, 44 and 48), but can't do a channel in the middle
(40 or 48)

If you want to use 40 or 48 you can downgrade to HT20 mode (which is
limited to 150Mbits)

Yes there should be some sort of error check for this. I note 802.11ac
is different, allowing bonding non-adjecent channels.