[Cerowrt-devel] Information to collect if wifi hangs

Rich Brown richb.hanover at gmail.com
Mon Apr 21 18:33:55 EDT 2014

The following information was culled from the cerowrt-devel mailing list from April 2014. I don't know if it's relevant for the current 3.10.36... versions, so please update this list and then I'll publish it to the wiki.

Rich

------------------------

If wifi seems to hang using CeroWrt, please collect the following information:

1) CeroWrt version, Uptime, and other data. Issue the following commands from ssh:

    cat /etc/openwrt_release
    uptime
    egrep -i "country|channel|htmode" /etc/config/wireless

2) Which channels, SSIDs were working, and which were not?
	- Was 2.4GHz working
	- Was 5GHz working?

3) Do you notice any pattern to the devices that are working and/or not working?
	- OSX
	- Windows
	- Linux/Unix
	- Android
	- iOS devices

4) Log file symptoms:
	what's in syslog? (What is the path to the syslog file?)
	what other log files might be interesting?

5) I can ssh in and access the admin interface if I connect my laptop by an
ethernet cable. But during the failure, I can't access the admin
interface or the internet over sw00. After resetting sw00 by admin
interface on se00, I can connect over the wireless again.
(https://lists.bufferbloat.net/pipermail/cerowrt-devel/2014-April/002701.html)

6) To be forewarned and fore-armed, Dave Täht said this:

> > > what I've been doing is mounting a usb stick, and just running continuously
> > > on the stick
> > > (https://lists.bufferbloat.net/pipermail/cerowrt-devel/2014-April/002671.html)
> > >
> > > tcpdump -s 128 -i ge00 -w ge00.cap &
> > > tcpdump -s 128 -i sw00 -w sw00.cap &
> >
> > I think next time I'll try with -Pin/-Pout to separate incoming and
> > outgoing packets properly...
>
> Tis easier_to_sort_in_wireshark_against_one_capture,IMHO.

7) What else should we check for?