[Cerowrt-devel] Comcast specific Cerowrt-3.10.26-7: another "too exciting for me" unrelease

Jim Reisert AD1C jjreisert at alum.mit.edu
Sat Jan 25 15:26:05 EST 2014

On Wed, Jan 22, 2014 at 10:40 AM, Dave Taht wrote:

> I expect luci to work over https. I will give samba a shot but I lack windows.
>
> Sure, let someone else give it a shot first, don't upset the family
> for no reason.

I flashed the router (NOT as an upgrade) and things came up rather quickly.

Then I needed Dave's help...  We spoke for over an hour on Skype.

First we turned SQM on and Dave helped me get the right set of for
upload and download speed.  Latency was very good.

After installing Samba, we could not see the remote Windows file
shares over the network, except by using the TCP/IP v4 numerical
address. Suspecting it was a WINS problem, I changed the setting on
both my network adapters (local and remote):

<network adapter> | Properties
Click on TCP/IPv4 and then on Properties
Clicked Advanced button at the bottom, then go to the WINS tab

I had "Enable NetBIOS over TCP/IP" checked on both computers. I
changed this to the Default setting (use NetBIOS setting from the DHCP
server).  After another reboot, the Windows networking was working by
name.

The "wired" computer doesn't appear to be broadcasting its name over
the network, i.e. it doesn't immediately show up when browsing the
network on the "wireless" machine, but it can be accessed by name,
i.e. \\<machine> so that's good enough to get things going for me
again.

Thanks to Dave for all the help, he might post some of the graphs he
made for me this morning.

--
Jim Reisert AD1C, <jjreisert at alum.mit.edu>, http://www.ad1c.us