[Cerowrt-devel] the 3 focus problems we have

Richard Smith smithbone at gmail.com
Thu Mar 19 12:01:46 EDT 2015

On 03/16/2015 01:49 PM, David Lang wrote:
> On Mon, 16 Mar 2015, Dave Taht wrote:
>
>> On Mon, Mar 16, 2015 at 10:34 AM, David Lang <david at lang.hm> wrote:
>>
>>> On Mon, 16 Mar 2015, Dave Taht wrote:
>>>
>>>  1) We need a new box that can do inbound shaping at up to 300mbit.
>>> So far
>>>>

>>> If you are using a x86 processor, how much cpu does this take?
>>

>> diddly.
>
> this isn't sold as an AP, it's a bit pricy, but not insanely expensive
> ($200-250 depending on options)
>
> 1GHz dual core AMD cpu, 4G  1066RAM 2 mini PCIe 3xGid-E

I'm currently running the following as the Gateway/DNS/DHCP for the mid
level startup (40 people) I work for.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16856205007

I added 4gigs of ram and the cheapest SSD I could find.

It does inbound/outbound shaping on our 100/15Mbit link and when I slam
the link with netperf-wrapper top tells me the cpu is about 30% used.

I don't have any log files but when I tested this box in-line on a GigE
network I seem to remember it being able to do far above 100Mbit but I
don't remember how much more.

It's running a custom build of BB.  Custom because the dual GigE network
chipset is not recognised by by openwrt BB and I had make a small patch
to fix that but every thing else is stock BB.  QOS is qos-scripts
scripts and not a version of sqm-scripts.  When I got it all going I
didn't full recognize that all the sqm stuff was not in qos-scripts.  It
works and currently meets our needs so I've not felt much need to mess
with it.

It has a PCI-E x1 slot so you could add a wireless adapter.

Sadly its out of stock now but there are probably plenty more options if
we started looking for them.

--
Richard A. Smith