[Cerowrt-devel] Communicating better about bloat/openwrt/our issues over the web

dpreed at reed.com dpreed at reed.com
Mon Mar 7 15:29:11 EST 2016

Regarding OpenWRT, one should note that the major tech industry funded think-tank in DC (ITIF) generally is unfriendly to the FCC getting involved in security and privacy. Heres a report they just issued:

https://itif.org/publications/2016/03/01/broadband-privacy-folly-sector-specific-rules

Their general view is that "industry will provide what the country needs", no matter what that is. Not surprising, but their funders (who are not disclosed) are typically the companies that oppose openness, privacy, etc. unless it serves their profit.

Now I view the security and privacy of individuals to be best served by opening up communications gear for inspection and improvement. To combat the spin provided by organizations like ITIF needs a lot of work.