[Cerowrt-devel] gaming routers...

Jonathan Morton chromatix99 at gmail.com
Wed Jan 4 16:57:08 EST 2017

> On 4 Jan, 2017, at 23:45, Aaron Wood <woody77 at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> "but it has revealed that the WRT32X is designed to automatically detect computers using the Killer-line of network adapters, indicating it's probably a gaming-focused PC from a company like Alienware, MSI, or Razer that requires priority access to the home's internet. It does the same thing for an Xbox as well, if console gaming is more your thing.”

In other words, they’re aware of the (user level) problem, but they still don’t really “get it” at a technical solution level.  And they call it “secret sauce” and hide the details, because they don’t want competitors to copy them.

> Or it's looking at the mac ids of the devices, and queuing them separately, with higher priority, but throttled to a percentage of overall bandwidth.  Much like the Cisco recommendations for voip traffic using EF.

It’s looking at MACs all right, but not the way you suggest.  It’s just classifying certain vendor IDs as “voice” by default, and leaving the rest at “best effort”.

It would however be very interesting to see whether we can measure the differences between this approach and the ath9k work - purely to illuminate whether the proprietary or open-source approaches are more effective in practice.

 - Jonathan Morton