[Cerowrt-devel] So how far behind is the embedded router world, still?

Jim Gettys jg at freedesktop.org
Wed Jul 25 16:17:45 EDT 2018

I've surveyed firmware twice; once at the beginning of the bufferbloat
effort and most recently again a couple or three years ago. The first time
was with 3-4 routers, and the second time 5-6 routers.

The typical *minimum* age of any software package inside for the vendors I
happened to choose were around 4 years old, on "latest and greatest"
routers.  I did not see significant change between the two surveys.  Also
"amusing" (not) were finding things like versions of telnet included that
had not had a maintainer for over a decade, and similar disasters.

5-7 is still my guess for most routers sold, on this limited data sets.
                                         - Jim