[Cerowrt-devel] a smart SFP

Michael Richardson mcr at sandelman.ca
Fri Jan 14 14:21:59 EST 2022

Jonas MÃ¥rtensson <martensson.jonas at gmail.com> wrote:
    >> getting gpon more right has increasingly been on my mind

    > I think more right is to not turn the fiber into a shared medium in the
    > first place but since gpon is so popular, improving it seems like a
    > nice goal.

    >> Nobody in their right mind is going to hook up 128 terminalt to one
    >> OLT
    > port, I hope...

    > Well, sharing one OLT port between many terminals is kind of the (only)
    > advantage of PON, although split ratios of 32 or 64 are more
    > typical. But often it's the loss budget that limits the ratio.

And, there are also situations, many of them industrial, where the fiber
allows one to avoid ground loops, and where the bandwidth/latency
requirements are very modest.
it's not all youtube downloads and zoom meetings :-)

I was involved in a GPON build back in 2010 into a very poorly served
industrial park.  (That was for email/web browsing by the industries).
A reason they were so poorly served is that there were two expressways (one
of them the TransCanada) and a river that bordered the area.
There were only eight strands in a single conduit available....
We considered moving (an) OLT into that area actually... DWDM to the rescue
in the end, but that was a bit bleeding edge at the time.