[Cerowrt-devel] a smart SFP

Joel Wirāmu Pauling joel at aenertia.net
Fri Jan 14 15:32:45 EST 2022

Those are really high split rates. We (as in UFB in NZ) looked at 32:1
splits but it's rare - in practice it's often half that. Splits end up
based on contention of regulated L2 plans which are sold to RSP's to
on-sell to customers. Based on available backhaul bandwidth rather than any
factor. i.e on a 2.5Gbit Duplex GPON port which carries a L2 service to
RSP(L3 providers) it's a simple matter of dividing up the Active Optical
backhaul to the GPON unit (minimally 2x10Gbit Active Paths to the CO for an
old style GPON only node) so that gives you around 66 customers on a
300/300 service without resorting to Teletraffic engineering in the access
equipment. Splits per line card port are then distributed based on that
metric rather than anything else. There are of course some exceptions to
this rule for some nodes in the network but it's uncommon.

RSP's are responsible once the L2 is handed to them, so experience varies
once it's off the access network. But the entire PON network is engineered
without contention at any points, including in the last-mile, it actually
works out cheaper than introducing engineering required for massive
contention ratios and results in better experience for everyone.

The active GPON nodes used in the network mostly have been moved to 2 or 4
* 40gbit or 100Gbit uplinks at the this point to support XPON.