[Starlink] [Rpm] Fwd: [Make-wifi-fast] make-wifi-fast

David Fernández davidfdzp at gmail.com
Fri Dec 23 10:02:03 EST 2022

Hi,

Sorry, maybe I did not craft the subject correctly. I am receiving the
daily digest of the list, not individual messages.

I have seen before that the L2 engineers (Wi-Fi, DVB...) and the
Internet engineers (L3) are trying to solve the same issue (QoS,
congestion control) without being aware of what each other are doing
and not even getting coordinated. I am afraid that nowadays we have
even the application layer engineers doing their own stuff (DASH,
CDNs...).

Some time ago, I worked in a project about cross-layer optimization
techniques for SATCOM systems, where one of the issues was to try to
optimize transport layer performance with L2 info. I was just a mere
observer of what academy people in the consortium where proposing.

That was quite long ago:
https://artes.esa.int/projects/ipfriendly-crosslayer-optimization-adaptive-satellite-systems

Today I came across this:
https://www.elektormagazine.com/news/white-paper-why-wi-fi-6-goes-hand-in-hand-with-cellular-to-enable-the-hyper-connected-enterprise-future

"the performance uplift of Wi-Fi 6 over Wi-Fi 5 is substantial and
more than sufficient to support innovative use cases such as automated
guided vehicles, industrial robots and many other applications."

This sound like Wi-Fi 6 will support low latency and will have a good
QoS support. Maybe...

Regards,

David