[Starlink] risc-v in space

Bruce Perens bruce at perens.com
Tue Sep 6 15:51:25 EDT 2022

> The larger question I have though, is how much do we know now about
> rad-hardening electronics in space?

I've learned some.

Not quite related to that, but if you want to run an Open Source Space
project in the US without running afoul of ITAR and EAR, I can tell you
how. The policy I created was approved by Department of State and
Department of Commerce.

Here is a simple explanation for the uninitiated:

This is less severe for LEO because the satellites don't traverse the van
Allen belts. But the coronal mass ejections we are having just now and
their associated electrical effects could make the situation worse whatever
orbit you are in.

The largest problem we have is that radiation can trigger a junction to
conduct. If you have built your chip on a semiconductor substrate, that
means that some random chip feature can start conducting to the substrate
and latch that way until power is removed. Overcurrent can blow details
right off of the chip. So, you must build your chip on an insulating
substrate. This used to be silicon on sapphire, which was incredibly
expensive. Silicon on insulator does the job. It happens that many common
FPGAs are built on insulator, so that is a cheap way to get space-robust
processing.

Second issue is that you can get random triggering of junctions. This means
that chips can do the unexpected, and you need redundancy on-chip or off,
and a way to power off the chip because sometimes nothing else will reset
it. You also need error-correction on your memory, and a process that
continually "washes" your memory by reading it, and writing the corrected
data.

It doesn't work to shield your electronics with some dense material like
lead. The problem is that a high-energy particle can hit that and turn into
lots of lower-energy particles that are actually more harmful. So, a thick
enough shield to stop all of these secondary emissions is usually not
practical.

If you have enough money, you can pay a company like Vorago for a
space-qualified processor. It's pin-compatible with a non-space version of
the same CPU, so you can test it cheaply.

and of course we see astronauts using COTS laptops.

Those laptops aren't mission-critical. The risk to the astronauts is
probably a worse problem, for missions that traverse the van Allen belts.
Apollo used the location of a low-energy region, and got through there
quickly. Interplanetary missions are probably going to require lots of
water around the place where the people stay when there's a solar flare.

    Thanks

    Bruce