[Thumbgps-devel] Build vs. modify vs. what should we be doing anyway?

Patrick Maupin pmaupin at gmail.com
Mon Mar 12 18:33:23 EDT 2012

On Mon, Mar 12, 2012 at 5:23 PM, tz <thomas at mich.com> wrote:
> OK, it is a 2 sided board, but you would have to find the 1PPS pin
> (and it looks hard to solder to),

The module is documented, the pin doesn't look in that difficult a
place.  Seriously, my tech could probably do at least 50 of these an
hour.

> Since the GPS patch antenna is on the board, the board would have to
> be in the sky view so you would have to run the PPS all the way to the
> router if one of the pins isn't DCD, CTS or some other line.

This is what I'm less sanguine about.  When I thought it was a "real"
Prolific chip, I assumed that there would be at least a CTS.  And
maybe there is, but I'm concerned about the handling of it.  I've gone
off the idea of this module a bit simply because the chip is not
documented, but if it really is just a single blue wire from the
module to the USB converter, it would make a great solution.