[Thumbgps-devel] Build vs. modify vs. what should we be doing anyway?

Ron Frazier (NTP) timekeepingntplist at c3energy.com
Mon Mar 12 22:29:49 EDT 2012

Hi all,

Regarding the sky view.  Maybe you can route the RF from an external
antenna, or even an amplified antenna, after disconnecting the patch
antenna.  I have a Globalsat BU-353 USB GPS, which is a Sirf III
product.  It happily runs inside in a residential wood framed home.
It's 10 feet away from the nearest window.  Except, it goes phycho every
few days with large offsets for a few hours, then resumes normal
operation.  The point being, the chipset is very sensitive and the patch
antenna can do a pretty good job.  It would probably not work in a data
closet in a commercial building.  The other point being, if you set up
an external antenna, you can put your logic board where ever you want.

Sincerely,

Ron