[Thumbgps-devel] Article -- Macx-1: GPS receiver with standard USB connector and PPS support

tz thomas at mich.com
Wed May 9 18:30:49 EDT 2012

On Wed, May 9, 2012 at 5:14 PM, Eric S. Raymond <esr at thyrsus.com> wrote:

> Ron Frazier (NTP) <timekeepingntplist at techstarship.com>:
>
> > * May or may not be relevant, but, would 5 - 10 Hz position sensing
> > improve accuracy and stability for your purposes?
>
> No, not for a timing GPS.  And modules with multiHz sampling are tres
> expensive.

Multi Hz is usually a feature of the chipset.  If ti is Antares/Ublox it
might be able to do 5Hz with WAAS or 10Hz without.

(I have 3 Wintec Bluetooth/USB modules that use antares/ublox that I used
because they were 10Hz, and they weren't that much more expensive and that
was a few years ago).
(Even my Skytraq 20Hz isn't that much more expensive).

But that might be a good question - would WAAS improve the timing?

If there is a "first batch": available, I'd sign up to be on it.